Please Note: You are viewing the non-styled version of SITE NAME. Either your browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) or it is disabled. We suggest upgrading your browser to the latest version of your favorite Internet browser.
OCJS encourages the use of data-driven responses to criminal justice issues. The following are links to valuable resources to data and statistics, research, and evidence-based practices in criminal justice and related fields.
Best Practices Tool-Kit: Community Corrections and Evidence-Based Practices
DRC Community Corrections
Produced by the Ohio Institute on Correctional Best Practices, this document identifies the principles of effective intervention drawn from evidence-based research and how that translates into effective practice in community corrections.
Blueprints for Violence Prevention
The Blueprints mission is to identify truly outstanding violence and drug prevention programs that meet a high scientific standard of effectiveness. To date, it has assessed more than 900 programs.
BJA’s National Training and Technical Assistance Center (NTTAC)
NTTAC supports public safety practitioners, elected officials, and non-profit organizations, including the faith-based community, with technical assistance training, information dissemination, and conference facilitation.
Center for Problem-Oriented Policing
Provides information about ways in which police can more effectively address specific crime and disorder problems.
In partnership with the Center for Effective Public Policy and the State Justice Institute, BJA’s collaborativejustice.org website offers tools and resources needed to establish, enhance, and sustain effective long-term collaborative partnerships among policymakers and other key stakeholders in your community.
Cost Benefit Knowledge Bank for Criminal Justice
A joint project with the Vera Institute of Justice, the CBKB provides resources for justice practitioners and policymakers interested in using cost-benefit analysis methods and applications to better evaluate the economic impact of criminal justice policy choices.
This website uses rigorous research to determine what works in criminal justice, juvenile justice, and crime victim services. It includes research on program effectiveness and easily understandable ratings (effective, promising, no effects) on whether a program achieves its goals.
Domestic Violence Evidence Project
An initiative of the National Resource Center on Domestic Violence (NRCDV) is designed to respond to the growing emphasis on identifying and integrating “evidence-based practice”. We are combining what we know from research, evaluation, practice and theory to inform critical decision-making by domestic violence programs and allies.
Evidence-Based Policing Matrix
The Evidence-Based Policing Matrix is a research-to practice translation tool that categorizes and visualizes policing evaluations according to three common dimensions of crime prevention: the nature of the target, the extent to which the strategy is proactive or reactive, and the specificity or generality of the strategy.
Implementing Evidence-Based Policy and Practice in Community Corrections, 2nd Ed.
Defines evidence-based practice and discusses the principles of effective intervention
Justice Reinvestment Initiative
JRI provides technical assistance and competitive financial support to states, counties, cities, and tribal authorities that are either engaged in justice reinvestment or are well positioned to undertake such work.
National Center for Justice Planning
NCJP is designed for planners at all levels of government and in all agencies and organizations responsible for developing strategies for delivering justice. NCJP facilitates access to resources related to strategic planning and identifies and describes policies and practices proven to be effective based on evidence and replication.
National Governor's Association Center for Best Practices
Develops innovative solutions to today's most pressing public policy challenges
National Guideline Clearinghouse
NGC is a public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
National Reentry Resource Center
A partnership among BJA, OJJDP, and the Council of State Governments Justice Center, the NRRC provides education, training, and technical assistance to government agencies, non-profit organizations, and institutions working on prisoner reentry.
Prevention and Early Intervention
Provides prevention practitioners with information on best and promising practices. Maintained by the Center for Effective Collaboration and Practice at the American Institutes for Research in Washington D.C.
Risks-Needs-Responsivity (RNR) Simulation Tool
This project will develop a RNR Simulation Tool that can assist local, state, and/or federal agencies to use the risk-need-responsivity approach in practice through defining the type and nature of correctional options available in their jurisdictions.
Smart Policing Initiative
The Smart Policing Initiative identifies law enforcement tactics and strategies that are effective, efficient, and economical and provides competitive grant funding to support local efforts.
American Evaluation Association - Mission to improve evaluation practices and methods and to increase evaluation use.
Ohio Program Evaluators' Group - Nonprofit network of evaluators in Ohio who promote evaluation and research as critical components of service delivery programs.
National Juvenile Justice Evaluation Center - Designed to assist with the evaluation of juvenile justice programs and implementation of evidence-based initiatives.
CrimeSolutions.gov - Research-based information on what works in criminal justice, juvenile justice and crime victim services, compiled in an easy-to-understand ratings matrix.
StatSoft - Electronic statistics textbook
Crime in the United States
- Published annually by the FBI
- Presents Uniform Crime Report (UCR) information on offenses reported, arrests, and police employee data
- Data presented at the national, state, local level
- Other FBI annual publications include Hate Crimes and Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted
National Crime Victimization Survey
- Survey conducted annually by the Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Primary source of information on criminal victimization, including crimes not reported to police
- Other BJS annual publications include Prisoners, Prison Inmates at Midyear, Jail Inmates at Midyear, Probation and Parole, Capital Punishment, and Criminal Victimization
U.S. Census Bureau
- Provides data about the nation's people and economy
- Allows user to query their system to obtain specific statistics
National Survey on Drug Use and Health
- Presents findings from annual survey conducted by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Applied Studies
- Provides the latest data on prevalence and correlates of substance use, serious mental illness, related problems, and treatment in the civilian population ages 12 or older in the U.S.
Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics
- Online source of criminal justice statistics funded by the Bureau of Justice Statistics
- Brings together justice-related data from 200+ sources, broken into six categories: criminal justice characteristics; public opinion on crime and justice issues; crime and victims; arrests and seizures; courts, prosecution, and sentencing, parole, jails, prisons, death penalty
National Criminal Justice Reference Service
- Federally funded resource offering justice and drug-related information
- Hundreds of published reports and other information products available for download
Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention (OJJDP) Statistical Briefing Book
- Created by OJJDP, it enables users to access online information to learn about juvenile crime and victimization and about youth involved in the juvenile justice system.
- Includes various national-level reports on juveniles as offenders, victims, in the court system, probation, corrections, and aftercare
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Violence Prevention
- Part of the CDC's Injury Center
- Information on violence prevention, including child and elder maltreatment, intimate partner violence, sexual violence, suicide, youth violence
State of Crime and Justice in Ohio
- Published by OCJS, the most recent comprehensive version is from 2007
- Condensed 2010 version, Ohio Criminal Justice Statistics, also available
- Presents a concise overview of Ohio's justice system and data across all elements of the criminal justice system
Ohio County Profiles
- Provides county-level data on population, vital statistics, and economic and other indicators
- Department of Development website also has Ohio Census information
Ohio Courts Summary/Ohio Courts Statistical Report
- Published annually by the Ohio Supreme Court
- Describes Ohio's court structure
- Presents data on the Ohio Supreme Court; Courts of Appeals; Court of Claims; Courts of Common Pleas (General division, Domestic Relations, Probate, Juvenile); Municipal Courts; and County Courts
Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction reports
- Publishes periodic reports on the following topics:
• Annual Report
• Commitment Report
• Average Cost per Inmate
• Master Population Counts
• Intake Study
Ohio Attorney General's Office reports
- Publishes annual reports and statistics on the following topics:
• Capital Crimes
• Concealed Carry
• Crime Victims
• Domestic Violence
• Health Care Fraud
• Missing Children Clearinghouse
• Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy
Office of the Ohio Public Defender reports and statistics
- Provides capital indictment statistics
Ohio Department of Youth Services reports and statistics
- Website provides links to DYS statistics and fact sheets
- Publishes annual reports on the following topics:
• Youth Admissions to DYS
• Felony Adjudication Report
• Youth Transferred to Adult Court
• RECLAIM Ohio statistics
• Disproportionate Minority Contact Report
Ohio Department of Education
- \Provides district-level data down to individual school data regarding disciplinary incidents, demographic information, and other information
Ohio Department of Health reports and statistics
- Data and statistics page provides access to information on wide variety of Ohio health issues in addition to information vital statistics, health surveys (including behavioral risk surveys, youth risk surveys), and opiate abuse/overdose
- Information Warehouse allows user to build data tables on birth and death data
The Burns Institute
- ;A national non-profit that focuses on ensuring the equitable treatment of poor youth and youth of color in the juvenile justice system
- Website includes an interactive state data map that also includes some county-level data
Find Youth Info
- Website was created by the Interagency Working Group on Youth Programs
- Site has an evidence-based program directory search tool which can be searched by keyword, risk factor, and protective factor
Centers for Disease Control, Injury and Violence Prevention and Control
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- \NHTSA collects data on fatal injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes on their Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) website: www.nhtsa.gov/FARS
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety and Highway Loss Data Institute
- The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety is dedicated to reducing the loss from crashes on the nation's highways
- The Highway Loss Data Institute provides scientific studies of insurance data representing the human and economic losses resulting from the ownership and operation of different types of vehicles.
Ohio Crash Statistics
- Located on the Ohio Department of Public Safety's website, this site can be used to download Ohio crash data for the past five years.
Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA)
- Represents the state and territorial highway safety offices that implement programs to address behavioral highway safety issues